For God and Country
|The American Legion Weekly [Volume 1, No. 19 (November 7, 1919)]|
- National Headquarters Library: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Legions Digital Archives: 575 digitized magazines from July 1919- April 1949
- American Legion Weekly, and American Legion Magazine not completely digitized as of this writing.
- Department Archives. Each state has a Department which hosts its own website. The Departments also holds Post’s charter information http://www.legion.org/departments
- Local museums, libraries, and State Archives
- Newspapers. The American Legion news and the various Posts’ activities were essential during war times.
|Duryea, PA American Legion|
- Early membership of ancestor. Know that State Departments (or National) will release membership lists. However, we have been quite successful in discovering comprehensive membership lists from early newspapers.
- Charter information to include date of charter, or date of charter cancellation
- Family release/correspondence. Post names are independently created to honor a deceased war veteran or hero. Today, the family must agree to the use of the veteran’s name as Post, but earlier Department records may not have a letter, as it was not required.
And the Women?
Accurate, accessible answers