Who was Wiley J. Morris (Tobe) ?
Tobe's parents were mulattoes. His father Wiley was born a slave 6 Oct 1807, and was emancipated in 1855. He was the son of James Morris, Ireland (DNA confirms). His mother Louisa Griffin, born 1817, was a privileged free-colored from North Carolina. Louisa's father also free, owned land by 1811, and educated his children. Louisa continued the tradition by educating her five free-colored children; Tobe being the eldest.
- Birth dates and 1st marriage dates taken from family bible of Louisa Griffin Morris.
- DNA results in author's file.
- Griffin NC land transactions in author's file.
- Education records verified via newspaper clippings, written samples in Family Autograph book, and obituaries.
- Republican Party involvement from Rutherford newspaper clippings from 1866-1868
- Marriages of Peggy Frances from Dawes Records
- Marriage to Mary A. Robinson from Nowata, OK newspapers