- Immigration and naturalization records
- Passport Applications
- Death records (holds birthplace and often Lebanese parent’s names)
- Remember your ancestor may have adopted a Christian name in English, or Greek as well as Arabic. And be sure to include Hellenistic names for ancestor’s born around WWI.
- Women did not always take on a husband’s name. It was just as common to keep a maiden (father’s) name.
- Before the Ottomon Empire, surnames were not common. Visit the Assyrian InternationalNews Agency website to understand names and the translations.
Lebanese Americans by Paula Hajar and J. Sydney Jones
Accurate, accessible answers