- Just because your ancestor lived in the Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) does not make them an “Indian”
- Facial features and hair texture are not valid arguments for Native American heritage.
- Not all Cherokee ancestors were properly listed on the Dawes Rolls, but if they aren’t, they are not considered members of the Cherokee Nation, and you aren’t either
- As many Freedmen Indians already know: just because you aren’t officially a member of the Cherokee Nation, doesn’t speak of your bloodline. We’ve proven a few DNA connections to Native American bloodline, but more data is needed to claim tribal status.
- And finally, don’t confuse family lore with fact, especially while the whole country is watching!For
- Elizabeth Warren’s Genealogical Challenge
- Genealogical Society: No proof of Warren’s Cherokee Heritage Found