Sunday, May 29, 2016

Memorial Day Remembrance of Veterans

Obtaining Veterans' Ribbons, Medals, Certificates
It’s Memorial Day and we are remembering the stories of our veterans. Did they serve overseas?  Did they participate in a campaign in WWI or WWII?  Were they Korean War or Vietnam veterans. Your veteran may have served in the Cold War or one of the early wars.

Replacement Awards and Decorations

Often we hear of their heroic actions, or details of their battles. Yet, the earned awards have been lost or misplaced over time.  But did you know veterans, next of kin, and even the general public can receive replacement military awards or decorations? This can include certificates of service, copies of your veteran’s discharge papers, medals and ribbons. Veterans may even obtain a Cold War Recognition Certificate.

What Is Needed

  • Discharge Papers specifying eligible awards, ribbons, medals
  • Proof of Relationship: Birth Certificate (next of kin), Driver’s License (veteran)
  • Death Certificate, obituary of Veteran (if next of kin)
4 Tips / Hints
  1. Obtain the veteran’s military service record online, by mail, or by fax.  Submit Request.
  2. If your veteran’s separation documents were lost in the 1973 St. Louis Fire (read about it here), there are alternatives to locating discharge papers which will list awards and decorations.
  3. Visit the National Archives Military Awards and Decorations page, for complete procedure and costs information for replacement medals and ribbons.
  4. Cold War Recognition Certificate may be available to members of the armed forces and qualified federal government civilian personnel between 2 Sept 1945 to 27 Dec 1991.
More Information
Expect a 60-90 day response time to receive your awards/decorations once all paperwork has been submitted.

Kathleen Brandt
Accurate, accessible answers

No comments:

Post a Comment